250g tomatoes 1 med potato
4 lge cloves garlic 1 rounded tsp tomato purée
A handful of basil 1tsp castor sugar
Olive oil A splash of white wine/wine vinegar.
1 heaped tablespoon of creme fraiche. Salt & ground black pepper
1. Halve the tomatoes and place cut side up in a baking dish.
2. Peel the garlic cloves, chop into quarters and place at random in the baking dish.
3. Sprinkle the castor sugar over the tomatoes and garlic.
4. Sprinkle a handful of chopped basil over the dish, then drizzle tomatoes with olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Cook in the centre of a medium oven 150deg C for half an hour, until starting to brown, add a splash of wine/wine vinegar and
cook for a further five minutes, remove from oven.
6. Meanwhile, peel and cube the potato, place in a pan with 250ml/10 fl oz water; add the tsp of tomato puree to the water.
7. Bring potato to the boil and simmer for ten minutes, until soft.
8. Empty the contents of the dish and the saucepan, including water to a blender and whizz for a minute or so til smooth.
9. Serve with hot buttered toast or an oven fresh roll.