To be honest you can put any vegetables and any fish that you like in this dish and it will taste great. Just cut them small and add with the potato and carrot, you can leave out the garlic and the cayenne pepper if you don’t want it too spicy or want to feed to kids. (Kids will love it.)
2 fillets of salmon - or any meaty fish.
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp dried parsley
2 bacon slices - cut into small pieces
1 red onion, sliced and quartered
1pt fish stock (2 fish stock cubes)
4 cloves garlic, chopped. (optional) ½ pt milk
Small tub prawns
1 red caspsicum pepper, chopped small
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
I large potato - diced
3 carrots - cut into small sticks
1. Prepare all the ingredients. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan. Add the bacon, onion, pepper and garlic and fry for 5minutes.
2. Add the black pepper, salt, stock, dried parsley, diced potato, carrot sticks, cayenne pepper and any other vegetables you wish to add.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the fish chunks, prawns and lemon juice, cover and simmer for another five minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Put the flour in a small dish and mix to a smooth running consistency with some of the milk, then add to the chowder. Stirring constantly. Add the rest of the milk to the chowder.
6.Bring back to the boil for one to two minutes until sauce has thickened. Serve immediately.
Recipe (c) Copyright of C.A. Jones 2010